After 20 years producing award-winning public opinion surveys for ABC News and its international media partners, Langer Research Associates was founded in August 2010 to offer its industry-leading research and data evaluation services to a broader clientele.
Integrity in Research™ is our promise. Our custom research draws on our extensive experience producing more than 700 attitudinal surveys across a broad range of subjects. We emphasize appropriate methodology, optimal questionnaire design, high-level statistical modeling and data-driven analysis that peels back complexity to reveal clear, actionable conclusions. We know what to ask, how to ask it – and how to understand the answers.
Our related consulting services reflect a central but underappreciated concept: Not all numbers are created equal. Research produced or analyzed by suboptimal means can misinform as easily as inform. At ABC we created a groundbreaking survey standards and vetting operation to protect our knowledge base by separating valid and reliable data and analysis from their inferior counterparts. Today we use the same principles to steer clients through the crowded research marketplace. We assess both internal and external data to broaden understandings. And we evaluate survey modes, methods and questionnaire design to advise on validity, reliability and fitness for purpose of current and proposed research programs. In sum: We sweep the minefield.
Led by Gary Langer, ABC’s former longtime director of polling, Langer Research Associates continues to conduct ABC News polls as the network’s primary news poll provider, with responsibility for the ABC News/Washington Post poll and the network’s ongoing coverage of public opinion on politics, policy, social trends and international issues.
We produce the Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index, a weekly survey of Americans’ economic attitudes, under an exclusive licensing agreement with Bloomberg Finance LP. And we’ve handled an array of local, national and international research projects, the latter in affiliation with D3 Systems Inc. of Vienna, Va.
Other recent work includes:
- Management of ABC’s participation in exit poll questionnaire design via the National Election Pool, and analysis of 2016, 2012 and 2010 exit poll results for the network’s election night news coverage.
- A four-year series of in-depth surveys for Blue Shield of California Foundation examining the health care experiences and preferences of low-income Californians, evaluating the predictors of patient engagement, satisfaction and loyalty and developing recommendations for patient-centered primary care redesign focused on enhanced patient-provider relationships. See a summary here.
- Audience research studies for ESPN, including assistance developing a strategy to engage fans in the College Football Playoffs, work for which we shared a 2015 Ogilvy Award for Excellence in Advertising Research with ESPN and its other research partners.
- Surveys of the Millennial generation for Fusion’s 2016 Issues Poll series and of Millennial women for Refinery29/ABC.
- In-depth methodological reviews conducted for three academic survey research centers, and presentations on best practices in data analysis to the United Nations Department of Social and Economic Affairs, the International Foundation for Electoral Systems and others.
- The only annual national survey of attitudes toward the civil justice system, produced since 2012 for DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar, the nation’s leading organization of civil defense lawyers. Results were cited prominently in the DRI’s testimony to the House Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice in February 2015.
- A detailed study of attitudes on equality among groups, including the basic values and orientations that inform these views and a cluster analysis presenting a typology of attitudinal groups on opportunity issues, released in fall 2014 by The Opportunity Agenda.
- A five-year monitoring and evaluation project assessing the impact of the USAID-funded Bangladesh Leadership Development Program for the international development nonprofit Counterpart International.
- A fall 2012 political survey for Esquire magazine and Yahoo! News.
- Successive “Police Perception Surveys” for the United Nations Development Programme’s Law and Order Trust Fund for Afghanistan, published in January 2012 and January 2011.
- A detailed survey of tax morale in Afghanistan for the Afghan Revenue Department, January 2012.
- An analysis of U.S. public attitudes on long-term care for The SCAN Foundation, December 2011.
- An evaluation of the effectiveness of civic education programming in Afghanistan for Counterpart International, October 2011.
- Questionnaire design, methodological review and data analysis of a national survey in Yemen for the Broadcasting Board of Governors, presented at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in April 2011.
See our latest work at Our Impact.
Our long experience in network news makes tight deadlines and demanding projects second nature to us. Technical rigor nonetheless undergirds our approach. We’ve made scores of professional presentations on methodology and analysis alike, been published in Public Opinion Quarterly and other journals and held leadership positions at the American Association for Public Opinion Research, the National Council on Public Polls and the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research. And we’re proud to be affiliated with senior adviser Prof. Jon A. Krosnick of Stanford University, a leading authority in survey methodology, questionnaire design and data analysis.
Widely cited in media commentary and policy debate, our work has won two Emmy awards, the first and only to cite public opinion polls; nine Emmy nominations; two University of Iowa-Gallup Awards for Excellent Journalism Using Polls; an Excellence in Media Coverage of Polls Award from the National Council on Public Polls; and the 2010 Policy Impact Award of the American Association for Public Opinion Research, for a 6-year series of surveys in Afghanistan and Iraq described in AAPOR’s citation as “a stellar example of high-impact public opinion polling at its finest.”
Sign up here to join our e-mail distribution list and receive notification of our latest surveys for ABC News and other clients.
Follow us on Twitter @LangerResearch